headerimg

a week ago as undrafted free agents

in Was ist neu im Forum? 21.08.2018 10:41
von officialsbaseball | 231 Beiträge | 20790 Punkte

Even the owner of the Kansas City Chiefs is excited to see what Patrick Mahomes II can do.

Clark Hunt doesn't seem worried about putting too much pressure on his young quarterback Authentic Neil Walker Jersey , either.

The chairman and most visible face of the ownership family said after Saturday's training camp session at Missouri Western State University that he's looking forward to seeing Mahomes under center when the Chiefs open their preseason schedule Thursday night against Houston.

He's is eager for what the second-year pro can do for seasons to come, too.

"There's a lot of excitement here in Kansas City and really around the country about Patrick. He is a young man with a lot of skills, has a very high ceiling," Hunt said. "He's going through the process in learning what it means to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. That learning process will continue during the preseason and I'm sure once we get to the regular season."

Mahomes is taking over on a full-time basis from Alex Smith, who was traded to Washington despite the best year of his career. And the fact that Kansas City is pinning its hopes on its first homegrown quarterback in a generation has energized an already fervent fan base.

Season-ticket sales are robust, and there were about 6,000 fans at practice on Saturday.

"It's very exciting for the franchise from a long-term perspective," Hunt said. "If you can develop your own quarterback who can play at the top of the league, you can create an opportunity over the course of a decade to win a championship, and that's what we hope Patrick does for us."

No pressure, kid.

Hunt has also noticed what many others have this offseason: Chiefs coach Andy Reid has an extra bounce in his step Authentic Riley Sutter Jersey , a byproduct of the fun he's having working with a new, young quarterback.

"I know that's a hard thing to imagine when you're talking about Andy," Hunt said in his annual training camp availability, "but truthfully he seems energized. And that goes all the way back to the preseason, the chance to take a quarterback and mold him, something he's had a lot of success at."

In other news, Hunt declined to discuss the dispute between the league and its players when it comes to protesting during the national anthem. "There's really nothing to report," Hunt said. "Until the league tells us what the policy is, there's nothing really to talk about."

Hunt did say he's spoken to the Chiefs individually and collectively about social justice initiatives, and that the organization was willing to provide human resources and financial resources to help players make a difference with causes that they care about.

"That's not something new for the Chiefs. It's something that's been going on here in Kansas City since my dad brought the team here in 1963," Hunt said. "I've challenged the players to go out there and make a difference Cheap Sam Darnold Jersey , and there's so many that have a great heart and want to spend the time."

Hunt also said the Chiefs are content with using Missouri Western as their training camp base, even though the majority of NFL franchises now hold camp at their usual practice facility.

Hunt and Reid both like the old-school idea of team-building that occurs at camp, even though it's only an hours' drive from Kansas City. Missouri Western has also built and improved its facilities to the point they rival most major colleges and professional franchises.

He also praised the work done by general manager Brett Veach, who has made several controversial moves since taking over last year. Among them was dealing talented but temperamental cornerback Marcus Peters to the Rams, a clear attempt at improving the clubhouse culture.

"One thing we really care about as a franchise is the culture and character of the team," Hunt said. "That's something very important to Brett. As he brought in players in free agency and the draft, he made sure those players would be positive contributors to the character of the football team."

NOTES: OLs Cam Erving (knee) and Eric Fisher (shoulder) did not practice, nor did LBs Reggie Ragland (knee) and Anthony Hitchens (hamstring). None of the injuries to the four starters is thought to be serious. ... CB Keith Reaser (quad), LB Tanoh Kpassagnon (heel) and FS Leon McQuay (hamstring) were limited in practice. It's unclear if any will play in the preseason opener.

An optimistic Cam Newton says he's adjusting well to a new offensive scheme and boldly proclaimed it's time for the Carolina Panthers to "take back the division."

Wearing a "Change the culture" t-shirt and a "Keep Pounding" hat, an upbeat Newton was budding with enthusiasm on Saturday even after starting right tackle Daryl Williams went down with a knee injury earlier in practice.

In his first football-related interview in six months, Newton set a positive tone for training camp for a team that hopes to recapture the NFC South it won in 2013 Brandon McCarthy Jersey , 2014 and 2015. Carolina went 11-5 last season, but New Orleans won the head-to-head tiebreaker and took the division title.

Part of Newton's optimism surrounds the hiring of offensive coordinator Norv Turner and the addition of wide receivers D.J. Moore, Torrey Smith and Jarius Wright.

Newton said Turner has been "extremely easy" to work with and joked that his offense is "Boogie approved."

The 2015 league MVP said he likes that Turner is open to listening to suggestions about what plays may work best, even to the point to keeping the names of some of the predecessor Mike Shula's play calls.

"I think the onus is on (Turner) more so than us to take what we have done good and expand on it, rather than just ripping the sheets of paper up and having a this-is-my-way-or-the-highway mentality," Newton said.

Newton said it didn't take long to realize Turner has a high football IQ.

But he added that it's still a little too early to know exactly what to expect from the Panthers offense when the regular season arrives.

"I can't tell you that, (but) I know that the transition as far as philosophies has almost been as easy as anyone could expect," Newton said. "He is super relatable and is someone who has been around this league and been around a lot of egos and lot of different players and knows how to adjust. That alone makes my job easy knowing that he is a person who you can go to and say, 'This is how I feel about certain things.' And (he'll say), 'OK, let's find out how we can implement it.' He's not a guy who is so egotistical who says Cheap Jeff Locke Jersey , 'No, this play is going to work versus this.'"

Turner has already talked about wanting to improve Newton's completion percentage.

Newton's has completed just 58.5 percent of his career passes, but Turner would like him to be above 65 percent.

"That's a goal of mine and it is certainly attainable," Newton said.

Newton said that means learning to accept what the defense gives him, even if it means short dump-offs over the middle and to outlet receivers.

"That has to be my mentality," Newton said. "We have a lot of guys who can take two yards and turn it into 20 yards, or more. But it starts with me and I have to trust those guys and get the ball to them."

The 29-year-old Newton said he's feeling healthy heading into the season.

That's a big difference from last season when he underwent shoulder surgery and missed all of OTAs and minicamp and a large portion of training camp undergoing rehab.

"It was very big for me making the proper steps this offseason knowing that I am full go," Newton said. "My body feels great and I always have to mention to TD (linebacker Thomas Davis) that I even look great. I am in a position where I am all smiles."

Newton also addressed new owner David Tepper, teasing that "I'm up for an upgrade" after seeing he paid $2.2 million to purchase the team from founder Jerry Richardson.

"The excitement is something we all should get prepared for knowing we have a lively owner," Newton said.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: laserpointerdet
Besucherzähler
Heute waren 1047 Gäste und 2 Mitglieder, gestern 1343 Gäste und 18 Mitglieder online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 38581 Themen und 41047 Beiträge.

Heute waren 2 Mitglieder Online:
blair2019, laserpointerdet